1. Rolling bearings have been generalized, serialized, standardized, more suitable for mass production and supply, the use and maintenance are very convenient;
2. The coefficient of friction of rolling bearings is smaller than that of sliding bearings, and the transmission efficiency is higher and higher. The coefficient of friction of sliding bearings is generally 0.08-0.12, while the coefficient of friction of rolling bearings is only 0.001-0.005;
3. Rolling bearings have high operating accuracy, small internal clearance, and higher machining accuracy of each part. Rolling bearings can also increase the rigidity of the bearings by pre-loading. This is very important for precision machinery;
4. Rolling bearings not only have high mechanical properties and long service life, rolling bearings are manufactured with bearing steel, and after heat treatment, but also can save the more expensive manufacture of non-ferrous metals sliding bearings;
5. Rolling bearing transmission efficiency is high, less heat, can reduce the consumption of lubricants, lubrication and maintenance is more convenient;
6. Partial rolling bearings can withstand both axial and radial loads, which is conducive to simplifying the structure of the bearing supports;
7. Rolling bearings can be easily applied to shafts in any direction of space.
Compared to sliding bearings, rolling bearings also have the following disadvantages:
1. Rolling bearings are less able to withstand loads than sliding bearings of the same volume, so rolling bearings have a larger radial dimension. In the need to bear heavy loads and require small radial size, compact structure, such as internal combustion engine crankshaft bearings), the use of sliding bearings;
2. Rolling bearing vibration and noise is large, especially in the late stage of use is particularly significant, therefore, in the precision requirements are very high, do not allow vibration occasions, the general priority of the use of sliding bearings;
3. Once a foreign object is entered in a rolling bearing, it produces intermittent and large vibrations and noise, which can also cause early damage. In addition, rolling bearings are also prone to early damage due to metal clip impurities. Even without early damage, the life of rolling bearings is somewhat reduced. In short, rolling bearings have a shorter life span than sliding bearings.
Rolling bearings and sliding bearings have their advantages and disadvantages, each has a certain application, the two can not completely replace each other, each to a certain direction of development. At present, rolling bearings have developed into the main support type of machinery, more and more widely used.